Eventually things fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moments & know everything happens for a reason

It’s official! I’ve unveiled my grand adventure to my boss (best boss in the world by the way) and as hoped for, he is supportive of my travels. Still uncertain of how it will all play out with the company…I’ve requested a leave of absence that fell under the “personal leave” clause in the employee handbook. Still awaiting approval, but if approved I will travel for 3 months and then return back to the daily grind. If not approved, I am jumping blind-folded, head first, waving good-bye to the corporate world and setting off to explore the globe for a 6-12 month adventure.

I’ve started sending out requests on CouchSurfing and WWOOF  (two phenomenal online networks that help travelers connect with local hosts) CouchSurfing members are willing to give travelers a place to sleep for a night or two. WWOOF connects travelers with organic farmers who want to trade room and board for an extra hand. I’ve recieved responses for hosts in Australia and Guatemala so far, fingers crossed to connect with more happy, like-minded, welcoming hosts along the way, but if not I’ll have my trusty tent.

I sent in an application today to The Timmissartok Foundation in hopes of receiving a small grant. I’ve written The Ellen DeGeneres show mainly because I love her and want to share my story, but any support would be GREATLY appreciated!  I’ll continue to search for other forms of support/funding until the big start date. Either way, my plan is to travel on a $free – $10 budget a day.  The joy of new experience is the most wonderful thing about travel – and new experiences are free! Here are a few tips in case you are thinking of budget traveling on your own:

* Many people are willing to open their homes to travelers. Just chip in with a few chores, and they’ll usually give you a free meal, it’s a win-win!

*If you have a skill, such as cooking, art/crafts, massage, musical ability or basic carpentry, etc. you can barter for free food and accommodation as you travel.

* Traveling the world for free requires a blend of advance planning and the willingness to seize opportunities and go with the flow.

* Take your time. Time is not money…. Time is free! You have all the time in the world. Instead of buying a plane ticket, catch a ride out West, work on  boat/ship, or just hop on your bike and ride as far as your happy little legs will take you. The slower you travel, the less money you will spend.

Best boss in the World – You’ve taught me so much.  Thank you for all of your support. I appreciate everything you’ve done for me and am so thankful to call you my friend.

10 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Deano
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 00:35:14

Good luck. I did the same in 2010, it’s not easy at times, but the experience is well worth it! Enjoy!

2. EL
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 07:05:39

wow! I’m sure your journey will be unreal! : )

Planning on taking a year off to travel non-stop myself, sometime in the next 2 years.

If you’re going to Bali, then maybe you will find my blog entry useful for your trip.

here it is – http://mselenalevontraveling.com/2011/11/14/bali-solo/

Safe travels to you and can’t wait for all the stories & photos!

love & light

EL

3. LifeAsModernWife
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 14:22:52

Congrats!!! I’m looking forward to following your adventures!! This experience will be INCREDIBLE and change you for the better! Do you know which countries you are planning to go yet?!

• Traveling Gypsy Adventures
      Jan 20, 2012 @ 19:21:22

Thank you! Glad to have you along for the journey. Yes, for now the countries that I plan to visit are
      April – Fiji, New Zealand, Australia, Sydney Australia, Outback/Great Barrier Reef,
      May – Indonesia, Malaysia, Bali, Singapore
      June – Madagascar, South Africa,
      July – Argentina, Chile, Peru, Guatemala

Have a great day! 🙂

4. J Wu
    Jan 20, 2012 @ 18:11:19

Wow, this is awesome. I hope you won’t have any problems with the company… the vacation policy there is a pain ( I think I’m at negative hours :I ). Best of luck on your journey!

PS. Stumbled on to this site through facebook, great woodpress layout.

5. beckiblake
    Jan 23, 2012 @ 02:34:21

Three months & security OR six months to a year & total freedom. Win win situation.

6. Noni
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 05:10:08

Have fun! I did the same thing the year I turned 50. Couchsurfing rocks! I met so many incredible people, shared amazing meals and learned things that can’t be taught in school or read in a book.
    Be smart and stay safe, Noni.